← Back to Arc Publications

Hello! My name is…

If you would like to introduce yourself to the rest of the community, please do! Any and all information about yourself is welcome but never required.

I’ll kick it off. My name is Ben Styles, I work at Arc Publications, and I built this forum (with a lot of help from Discourse)! I like double IPAs, Chinese cinema of the 80s, functional programming, political poetry and anything Spanish. I have lived in Leeds for 8 years and I spend as much time as I can in the Yorkshire Dales.

Hello, hello. My name is Paris Morel, I’m a poetry addict, lover of mythology and surrealist obsessive. Most of my time is spent selling daffodils, promoting events and reading Dylan Thomas in bed. Quotes by Emerson, Lorca and Dickinson tend to improve my day.

Hi, my name is Jean Boase-Beier and I’m a translator of poetry from (and sometimes into) German. I am Translations Editor for Arc, but most of the time an academic. I work on the translation of Holocaust poetry. I like Yorkshire, Real Ale, poetry (and I agree with Paris about Dylan Thomas) and especially the poetry of Paul Celan. I was born in Huddersfield but now live in Norwich where it’s nice but very flat.

Hello, My name is Lawrence Schimel. I translate primarily from Spanish, occasionally from Galician as well. I also write in both Spanish and English, in a wide variety of genres (particularly poetry and children’s books of late).

My translations of individual poems have been published (or are forthcoming) in many journals in the UK & USA, such as MODERN POETRY IN TRANSLATION, POEM, AGENDA, STRUCTO, PLEIADES, TALISMAN, etc.

Books of poetry I’ve translated include: LIGHT’S VOLITION by Luis Armenta Malpica (Mantis/BookThug), EYES ALREADY RUINED by Luis Aguilar (Libros Medio Siglo), MONTERREY: A SAMPLER OF POETRY (UANL) & BOMARZO by Elsa Cross (Vaso Roto, forthcoming).

I was born in New York but have lived in Madrid, Spain for nearly 16 years now.

Hello. My name is Rachael Lindsay and I translate from Spanish to English (UK). I returned to live in England 2 years ago after living in the Canary Islands for 9 years, where I translated for 6 of those years. I am a poet and translate poetry because I must and nothing will stop me. Philosophical poetry and ancient history are my main passions. Now I cannot dance at fiestas and swim in the sea I walk in the woods and look at the trees I missed so much while I was gone.
I also love Spanish things, and the Yorkshire Dales…and Nottinghamshire is also nice but quite flat!

Hi Rachael, lovely to meet you!

Hi, my name is Jim. I was born in the Philippines but now live in South Africa.
I’ve been writing and translating my own poetry (English and Filipino) on-off for a few years, but only started thinking about doing it more when a small journal (Greatest Uncommon Denominator - GUD) accepted one of my attempts. Then a few years later Rhino and Modern Poetry in Translation took some of my work. I started translating the work of other poets and hope to squeeze some more time to keep at it. Lately I’ve been finding it hard to find the right time and space to write and translate. Real life worries always get in the way.
Giving this place a try so I might lurk for a while before I say anything. Hope that’s fine with you folks.

Hi @Jim_Pascual_Agustin, thanks so much for taking the time to introduce yourself, and welcome to the forum. We are a very small community at the moment but we are very much hoping for it to grow into something important and useful for all of us. You are of course very welcome to lurk, and if any discussions pique your interest, or you think of any questions that any other members may be able to help you with, don’t hesitate to get involved.

I notice that the most recent contributors to introduce themselves did so quite a long time ago. But here goes (even if nobody actually reads this): I’m Kevin Maynard, a recently retired teacher of English, Latin and Mandarin (mainly of English). Retirement means that I’m now able to devote most of my time to translating classical Chinese poetry (as well as writing, and occasionally publishing—if only in little magazines—my own much less interesting stuff).

As for European poetry, my first love is Spanish, and my second, German: though, I hasten to add, I tend in the main to read poets from both traditions in bilingual editions.

Although, on the few occasions when I’ve submitted translations, I’ve never managed to be placed in the Spender competitions, I have received favourable judge’s mentions on two occasions. I like hill- and mountain-walking; I’m passionate about music (particularly the entire piano repertoire on the one hand, and, on the other, lieder, melodies, and the ‘art song’ in general); I spend a lot of my time in art galleries, and watching films (with or without sub-titles).

I must admit, I don’t think I’ve ever read Dylan Thomas in bed, but a few of his best poems never went out of fashion for me: though I’m more of an Auden / Larkin / Heaney / O’Brien fan myself. At the same time, where poems being written in my native language are concerned, I find the best ‘modern’ American poets just so much more lively and interesting than the vast majority of British poets writing recently or at present (good though many of them are): who over here can hold a candle to Louis Simpson, Elizabeth Bishop, Louise Gluck, W S Merwin, C K Williams, Mark Strand, Charles Simic, Franz Wright, B H Fairchild, and a whole host of others?

Hi Kevin! Great to have you on board :slight_smile: